The Shih Tzu is an ancient breed that has been around for centuries. Its origins can be traced back to the Chinese Imperial court, where it was bred as a companion dog for the royal family. The breed was then brought to Tibet, where it was further refined and developed. The name “Shih Tzu” means “lion dog” in Chinese, and this name was given to the breed due to its courageous and loyal nature.
The Shih Tzu is a small dog, typically weighing between 9 and 16 pounds. It has a short muzzle, large eyes, and a long, flowing coat that can come in a variety of colors. The coat can be either straight or wavy, and it is often clipped into a lion-like cut, which is why the breed is sometimes referred to as “the little lion.”
The Shih Tzu is one of the few dog ethnicities that come in a wide range of colors and about twelve markings. This, along with their adorable facade , transforms them into among the most esteemed canines.
Nonetheless , this considerable amount of coat colors has the potential to have a problem. It is not uncommon for a dog owner to be unsure of what color their Shih Tzu truly is. This stems from the fact that many small dogs appear to be a different color than what they were registered as in a kennel club. The owner may discover that their dog is listed with a color that does not match the truth.
Not only that, but many Shih Tzus will experience color changes, which will make everything even more difficult. No wonder all of the above can be confusing to some!
Patterns and color combinations of the cute shih tzue:
- Gold: This color refers to a dog with a golden or yellowish tone.
- White: This color refers to a completely white dog.
- Liver: This color refers to a dog with a dark brown or chocolate tone with light brown highlights.
- Red: This color refers to a dog with a reddish or pinkish tone.
- Mask: This color refers to a dog with a black mask around the eyes and nose and the rest of the body in another color.
- Silver: This color refers to a dog with a silver or gray tone.
- Gold parti: This color refers to a dog with a pattern of gold color and another color, such as white or black.
- Black: This color refers to a completely black dog.
- Black parti: This color refers to a dog with a pattern of black color and another color, such as white or gold.
- Gold and white: This color refers to a dog with a pattern of gold and white color.
- Silver and White: This color refers to a dog with a pattern of silver and white color.
- Red and White: This color refers to a dog with a pattern of red and white color.
- Liver parti: This color refers to a dog with a pattern of dark brown or chocolate with light brown highlights and another color, such as white or gold.
- B & W: This color refers to a dog with a pattern of black and white color.
- Liver and White: This color refers to a dog with a pattern of dark brown or chocolate with light brown highlights and white color.
What is the rarest color of Shih Tzu?
The rarest color for Shih Tzu is silver. This small dog breed, known for its dense, shiny coat, comes in a variety of colors, from black to white. Silver is a shade between gray and beige, and is the most difficult to find. This is because it is a recessive genetic color, which means that puppies must get the color from both parents to show it. However, when a puppy with this color is found, it is a highly prized rarity.
Although the Shih Tzu breed is generally a healthy breed, it tends to suffer from some diseases:
1. Brachycephalic Syndrome: Brachycephalic Syndrome is a disorder common in short–nosed dogs such as Shih Tzus. It is caused by the dog’s short nose and snubbed face and can lead to breathing difficulties.
2. Allergies: Allergies are very common in Shih Tzus and can present as skin problems, ear infections, or respiratory issues.
3. Eye Problems: Shih Tzus can suffer from a number of eye problems including dry eye, cataracts, and progressive retinal atrophy.
4. Hip Dysplasia: Hip Dysplasia is an inherited condition in which the hip joint does not form properly. It can cause pain and lameness in the hind legs.
5. Intervertebral Disc Disease: Intervertebral Disc Disease is a condition in which the discs that cushion the vertebrae become herniated, leading to pain and paralysis.
6. Patellar Luxation: Patellar Luxation is a condition in which the kneecap slides out of place, causing pain and limping.
Temperament of the Shih Tzu
One of the defining characteristics of the Shih Tzu’s temperament is its friendliness. They are very sociable and friendly with people, whether they are known or not.
The Shih Tzu does not tolerate loneliness and separation from their family at home very well. Although they do not need a lot of cuddles or caresses on a daily basis, something that can be interpreted as solitary, the truth is that what this breed enjoys the most is the company of their family. If you are thinking of adopting a Shih Tzu, you do not have to spend a lot of time away from home or it could suffer from anxiety and even depression.
They do not tolerate heat
Shih Tzu are the dream pets, but there is one aspect to take into consideration if you are going to take care of a dog of this breed, even if it is not their temperament, it is an essential trait to understand. We are talking about their low tolerance to heat. Thanks to their long and thick coat, the Shih Tzu tolerates cold temperatures very well. However, in the hot months we must be cautious with high temperatures.
Thanks to the selection they have gone through, these dogs find it difficult to regulate their body temperature to adapt it to the heat, so they can suffer from panting and be reluctant to go for a walk. In the hours of excess heat they can suffer from heat stroke.
Are you looking for the perfect pet?
Look no further than the cute Shih Tzu. This breed of dog has been around for centuries and is known for its playful and affectionate nature. They make great companions and are sure to bring joy to any home. The Shih Tzu is a small breed of dog, usually weighing between nine and sixteen pounds. They have a long, silky coat that comes in a variety of colors including black, white, and brown. The breed is very affectionate and loves to be around people. They are also very intelligent and can be trained to do a variety of tricks. The Shih Tzu is a great pet for any home. They are easy to care for and require minimal grooming. They are also very low–maintenance and do not need a lot of exercise. They are also known for their good health and can live up to fifteen years. The Shih Tzu is a great choice for those looking for a loyal and loving companion. They are known for their loyal and loving nature and make great additions to any family. They are also very easy to train and can learn a variety of tricks.
Why Are Cute Dog Shih Tzu So popular?
Shih Tzu are one of the most popular shorthaired dog breeds in the world. These dogs have a sweet and friendly personality and are known for their loyalty, energy and affectionate nature. This makes them ideal for companionship and makes them popular with pet owners. Shih Tzu are known for their small size and cute appearance, making them ideal for apartment living. They have a short, uncomplicated coat that allows them to withstand heat well. They are also known for their low exercise needs, making them suitable for busy owners. In addition, Shih Tzu are usually not troublesome and are easy to train. Another reason Shih Tzu are so popular is that they are a relatively healthy breed. They require less veterinary care than many other dog breeds and have an average longevity of between 10 and 18 years. This means that owners can enjoy their companionship for a long time. In conclusion, Shih Tzu are popular for their small size, cute appearance, energy and loving nature. These dogs are easy to care for and have an average longevity. These characteristics make Shih Tzu’s an excellent choice for pet owners.
In conclusion, the Shih Tzu is a dog breed that can be defined as one of the most adorable breeds according to the opinion of many owners and dog lovers.
How Do I Know If My Shih Tzu Is Purebred?
One of the best methods to verify the purity of your Shih Tzu is through a pedigree certificate. This is a document issued by the International Canine Association (FCI) that records the dog’s ancestry.
The pedigree certificate will also indicate if the Shih Tzu meets the breed requirements. If the dog does not have a pedigree certificate, then you can consider other methods to verify its purity.
Another way to determine the purity of a Shih Tzu is to examine its appearance. Purebred Shih Tzu have a rounded head, droopy ears, a short muzzle and a curved tail. These dogs also have a soft, silky coat and a double coat. If the dog you are considering adopting does not resemble these characteristics, then it is probably not a purebred.
Finally, it is important to consider the behavior of the Shih Tzu. Purebred dogs are generally intelligent, cheerful and affectionate. If the Shih Tzu you are considering adopting does not behave in this manner, then it may not be a purebred. In conclusion, a pedigree certificate is the best way to determine the purity of a Shih Tzu. If the dog does not have a pedigree certificate, then you should consider its appearance and behavior to confirm if it is a pure breed.